Making Links Schools
Making Links Scholars is designed to help talented university students from underrepresented groups succeed in their early careers.
As one of our Making Links Scholars, you’ll get valuable coaching, work experience and £6,000 in financial support.
This isn’t just an opportunity to gain an insight into commercial law – it’s your chance to make a difference in the world, and help change our industry for the better.
Here's what makes you eligible:
- You’re in your first year of a three-year course or second year of a four-year course
- You’re from a social mobility background
- You’re committed to pursuing a career in commercial law
Please note that successful individuals must not have accepted a Training Contract offer or another professional scholarship elsewhere for the duration of the Making Links Scholarship.
In particular, we're keen to hear from you if:
- You’re the first in a generation to attend higher education
- You’re a carer or you have caring responsibilities
- You were eligible for free school meals in the past
- You attended state school throughout your secondary education
- You're a mature student
- You identify as having a disability
- You have refugee status or an uncertain immigration status
We will use the information you provide about your educational and personal background to determine your suitability for Making Links Scholars, so please ensure you give us all the relevant information.
- Complete our short form and online Capp assessment
- Submit a cover letter detailing why you want to be a Linklaters Scholar
- Submit your application
- Complete an online critical reasoning test, the Watson Glaser
- Attend an interview with the Linklaters Trainee Recruitment Team if shortlisted
The cover letter
As part of your cover letter, you should include the following:
- Why are you applying to the Scholarship?
- What do you hope to achieve with the Scholarship?
- Why are you interested in commercial law and Linklaters?
- What makes you a good candidate for the Scholarship and what is your background?
Here's what you'll receive as one of our Scholars:
- One-to-one coaching sessions
- Group sessions on commercial awareness and personal skills development
- A guaranteed week of work experience
- The opportunity to interview for a place on one of our 2023/24 Vacation Schemes
- An award of £6,000, paid by instalments over the duration of the Scholarship
- Access to some of the industry’s leading legal experts and exclusive access to some of our diversity events
- A dedicated Trainee Recruitment contact
- A Trainee mentor
Making Links Discovery
Making Links Discovery is run in conjunction with the Social Mobility Foundation and Amos Bursary. It is an 18-month programme that supports students who live in areas of low social mobility, and aims to help them into careers in law. To find out more, please visit our page on SMF's website here.
Making Links Schools Challenge
Our exciting competition is now closed. It will return again in January 2023.
The Challenge gave students currently completing Year 12 (or equivalent) in the UK the edge they need to become the commercial lawyers of the future.
Working at Linklaters is about adapting to change and providing innovative solutions for clients who work in a constantly evolving world. That's why it takes an agile, forward-thinking mindset to succeed here. It was for that reason that the theme of the competition this year was 'Change'.